APC Clinical Workshop 2 Insights

What is Clinical Workshop 2?

If you’re looking at completing the HLT51020 – Diploma of Emergency Health Care at APC (formerly known as HLT51015 Diploma of Paramedical Science), you may be aware that approximately 80% of the course can be completed online, but there are some hands-on requirements to be completed for the remaining 20%. 

The Diploma is consistent of 17 units of theory, two five-day Clinical Workshops and 160 hours of Clinical Placement completed within a relevant pre/out-of-hospital environment. Clinical Workshops can be completed in NSW, VIC, QLD and WA at our approved facilities, whereas Clinical Placement can be completed through an organisation of your choice, or one of APC’s Industry Partners! 

Clinical Workshop 2 builds on the basic life support skills learned and honed in Workshop 1, whilst developing your advanced life support skills. 

The main focus of Clinical Workshop 2 is to practise clinical activities in a supportive and nurturing environment, whilst being guided and encouraged by our experienced Trainers and Assessors. This immersive training environment assists students in handling real-life scenarios in a controlled environment before heading out and completing said skillsets during Clinical Placement 

What can I expect during Clinical Workshop 2? 

Advanced life support is a set of life-saving protocols and skills that extend beyond basic life support, being centred around urgent patient treatment such as cardiac arrest, stroke, myocardial infarction, trauma and other critical conditions. This may seem daunting to hear, but we promise that students are set up for success from day one. Students who enrol at APC generally only commence Clinical Workshop 1 around the 12-month mark into their course so you will have plenty of time to learn the theory before it’s put into practice at Clinical Workshop 2. 

Clinical Workshop 2 is completed over five consecutive days and hosted from a Monday through to Friday. Students can expect to enjoy a mix of lectures, interactive skills station activities, ambulance operations, out-in-the-field scenarios (in all weathers) and of course, plenty of time to collaborate and share your experiences with fellow students. 

Electrocardiogram (ECG)

  • ECG acquisition – 12 lead

Medication Management

  • Intravenous Cannulation
  • Drug administration
  • Intramuscular injections

Patient Extrication

  • Stretcher – stryker
  • Combicarrier

Patient care

  • Soft collar
  • CT6 traction splint
  • Pelvic binder
  • Chest decompression 

Airway Management

  • Double and triple airway manoeuvres
  • Airway alignment
  • Oropharyngeal airway
  • Bag-valve mask ventilation
  • Laryngoscopy
  • Magill forceps
  • Supraglottic airway (iGel)

Training Locations

Australian Paramedical College hosts Clinical Workshops in NSW, QLD, VIC and WA.

Our main campus and head office is located on the beautiful Gold Coast, Queensland. Many of our students prefer to travel to the Gold Coast campus because the facility is purpose-built and equipped with the latest pre-hospital equipment used by on-road Paramedics.

The Gold Coast facility boasts an in-house ambulance simulator and a training ambulance.

Study with Australian Paramedical College

A study schedule that works for you

Learn at your own pace, around your everyday commitments.

Choose how you learn

Read, listen or watch your course content in your easy-to-use online portal.

Developed and delivered by experts

Learn from expert instructors with decades of experience as paramedics or industry medics.

Learn online at your own pace

Enjoy the convenience of learning online, when and where it suits you.